Thursday, June 30, 2016

Thinking about my Dad

As we approach Father’s day, thoughts of my Dad have increasingly come to mind. He has been gone now for 40 years, but not hardly a day goes by that I don’t think about him. Dad was a kind and soft spoken man and was liked by all that knew him. He was known around town by a lot of people because he worked as a public servant most of his life. Because he was so well known, some of those people call me by his name and that makes me feel good about him and proud that they remember him.

Dad never had much like wealth and possessions during his life and never envied those that did, because he was happy with what little that he did have. Dad never owned his own home and until the last few years of his life he never ever owned an automobile. Those things were never at the top of his most important possessions.

Dad was a believer in God, but I don’t remember him ever going to Church. Not that it is important for a person to attend Church because that doesn’t have anything to do with being a believer.

As we approach this day when we celebrate Father’s day, I will celebrate the memories of you Dad. I have missed you all of these years and wish that you were still here. I know where you reside now Dad and hope that God will have mercy on me and allow me to come to where you are.

In memory of my Father with thoughts of Love

Roda H. Cox Jr.

1913 to 1972

No comments: